Stephen V. Hammond
Stephen V. Hammond is the Vice-President of Chenault Hammond, P.C. and has an active civil practice. Mr. Hammond has handled almost every conceivable type of civil defense litigation but has particular expertise in medical malpractice, construction, automobile and trucking claims. On the plaintiff’s side, the firm filed the first Triana DDT case and has handled many personal injury cases. The firm has one of only a handful of plaintiff’s verdicts against a local doctor in Morgan County.
Mr. Hammond holds an AV-Preeminent rating by Martindale-Hubbell and has for twenty years. Mr. Hammond is or has been listed in Best’s Recommended Insurance Attorneys, The Law List, The Insurance Bar and other insurance defense publications. Mr. Hammond was attorney of record in St. Paul Insurance Co. vs. Cromeans, 771 F. Supp. 349 (N.D. Ala. 1991), holding for the first time in Alabama that sexual misconduct by a physician was not covered under a malpractice insurance policy.
Mr. Hammond was also counsel of record in the seminal case of Ex parte Brewington, 445 So. 2d 294, on remand, Blair vs. Blair, 445 So. 2d 297, overruling Reynolds vs. Reynolds, 274 Ala. 477, 149 So. 2d 770 (1961). This case was the first in Alabama to recognize that a parent had a continuing duty of support, beyond the age of majority, for a mentally and physically handicapped child, overruling a long line of cases holding that a parent’s duty of support ended at the age of majority. He also handles family law, including divorce, custody, child support and contempt proceedings.
Stephen V. Hammond is a registered mediator in the State of Alabama. He has taken the training for general civil and domestic relations cases, and he has mediated several civil and domestic relations cases. With over 38 years in private practice in Decatur, Alabama, he has gained the experience to help you resolve your case. On the civil side, he has handled almost every conceivable type of civil case, including motor vehicle accidents, trucking accidents, workplace injuries, wrongful death, medical malpractice, slip and fall and age and sex discrimination, among others. On the domestic relations side, he has represented clients in original divorces, modifications, child custody, support and visitation cases. To schedule your mediation, contact us at 256-353-7031 (office), 256-642-9013 (cell), firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
- 1974, Alabama and U.S. District Court,
Northern District of Alabama
- 1978, U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh
Circuit and U.S. Supreme Court
- University of Alabama, J.D., 1974
Member, Bench and Bar
Student Work Editor, Alabama Law
- University of Montevallo
- University of Alabama, B.A., 1971
- Morgan County Bar Association
- Alabama Bar Association.
- “Hard Mineral Law in Alabama,” Alabama Geological Survey, 1974
Community & Civic Involvement:
- Past President, Decatur Chamber of Commerce
- Past Chairman of Board of Morgan County Red Cross
- Past President, Hospice of the Valley, Inc.
- Past Board Member, Alabama Hospice Organization
- Past Vestryman, St. John’s Episcopal Church and Church of the
Good Shepherd, Episcopal.
- St. Paul Insurance Co. vs. Cromeans, 771 F. supp. 349 (N.D. Ala. 1991).
- Ex parte Brewington, 445 So. 2d 294, on remand, Blair v. Blair, 445 So. 2d 297, overruling Reynolds v. Reynolds, 274 Ala. 477, 149 So. 2d 770 (1961)